Webster's High School is a 6-year, comprehensive school, situated in the burgh of Kirriemuir, catering for pupils aged 12 - 18 years.
The school serves an extensive rural area which extends from Glen Isla, Glen Prosen and Glen Clova in the north, to the village of Glamis and Glen Ogilvy in the south - a distance of 27 miles. In addition, pupils at Newtyle have the option of coming to Webster's.
Associated Primary Schools
The designated school catchment area is made up of the areas served by the following associated Primary Schools:
Airlie, Cortachy, Eassie, Glamis, Glenisla, Kilry, Lintrathen, Northmuir, Southmuir, pupils from Tannadice Primary School will move to Webster’s High School, Forfar Academy or Brechin High School, depending on their place of residence. Pupils from Newtyle Primary School have the choice of moving up to Webster's High School or Monifieth High School.
Click here for associated primary schools which have current websites.
Webster's High School is named after John Webster, a local writer and banker who bequeathed £7,000 for "erecting and maintaining a school for instructing the youth of the town and parish of Kirriemuir in the arts and sciences and such branches of education as the Trustees shall think suitable."
The school was opened in 1837, occupying the building used until December 2001 by Southmuir Primary School, and was known as Webster's Seminary until 1967. After the Second World War the school moved to new premises which were themselves substantially refurbished and extended between 1988 and 1990. In December 2001 a brand new Southmuir primary school was completed, attached to Webster's but retaining its own discrete identity. The upstairs of the building contains eight new classrooms for Webster's.